Friday, November 12, 2010

Handbuilding Techniques: The Pinch Method

The Assignment:
 To create three pinch pots with one opened, one closed, and the last asymmetrical or abstract.

Every foundational ceramic class usually starts with Handbuilding, basically working and sculpting clay by hand.This was a little frustrating for me, because ever since I took ceramics I wanted to work on the potter's wheel. However, its just common sense to get the feel of clay and learn its nature with one's hands before using a machine or a tool to aid in the process. There are three hand building methods which are pinch, coil, and slab.

I started out with the pinch method which is very basic, because all one does is...pinch the clay!
The thing with using the pinch method is that no matter how much one pinches that clay or smooths it down, the pot will never be perfect, however that is the beauty of it...it's perfect within its imperfection. That's what gives it proof that it was made by a human.
The pinch method was the first method ever used by humans and early civilizations because all it requires is some crafty hands and a ball of clay.


Opened Pinch Pot

My first pinch pot was not at all easy as I thought it would be. It took me two tries before I finally got the walls even on all sides, especially the bottom which tends to be very thick. Once I was finally satisfied with the basic bowl shape, I started to make it unique. First, I added a few carved in designs around the pot; using my judgement on making the pattern fit nicely all around the pot. Then I added a few spikes to the top of the pot with all little curve to them. However, by then i realized it looked somewhat like a pineapple so i decided to make the spikes into leaves by carving a line through the center of each one. And Voila! a pineapple pencil holder.


Closed Pinch Pot

Making a closed pinch pot was more challenging for me than an open one because the clay, whenever pinched, naturally tends to expand outward. The pot didn't necessarily have to be completely shut; the word "closed" intended simply having the top of the pot narrower than the base. However, I have to confess that I didn't make this pot from one ball of clay. Instead I made two open pinch pots and then scored, slipped and attached them together, making an egg-shaped oval. Then I cut an opening in the top to make it a small pinch vase.

Glazing the vase was the more creative and interesting part. After it has been bisque fired, I glazed the entire pot, with the exception of the band in the middle, an Oil Spot Black glaze. This glaze gives off a silvery/oily sheen in certain areas . Then I let a Honey glaze run down in streaks from the bottom and top. The Middle section was glazed with Heinriender white and Magruders red. After it was fired for the second time at cone 5-6, the Honey that was over the Oil spot black turned into a more bluish hue.

Asymmetrical Pinch Pot

I decided to go all out on the third pinch pot. As a result, I decided to make a pinch sculpture piece. As always, I began by sketching every crazy idea that came to my head. However, in the end I settled down with making a shoe. But not just any shoe, I gave it a pair of wings for a more mythical and unique feel. This piece was made with two separate pinch pots as well. Even though I used slabs for the wings and the tongue part, the shoe is mostly pinch.

When it came to glazing the shoe, I decided to play around with wax on this one. First, I dipped it into Fake Ash, which gives an ivy green with  brown streaks. Second, I painted on wax ivy designs from the tip of the shoe sprouting upwards. Then I dipped the entire exterior body into Oil Spot Black, which receded from the wax allowing the ivy designs to show. To finish it off, I glazed the wings white. However, the wings got some yellow in them upon firing.






No comments:

Post a Comment